The kitchen island design checklist
The difficulty in setting up the right kitchen island is probably the multifunctional requirement. A successful kitchen concept must meet at least the following requirements:
- It has to turn the kitchen island into a fulcrum in the room;
- It has to be functional;
- It must contribute to work efficiency.
Kitchen with island
A modern cooking island in the rustic kitchen
A must or an extra?
But let’s take a step back and ask ourselves the next question: is the kitchen island a must or an extra? Everyone would have to answer these for themselves. In our opinion, the kitchen island is a must in large kitchens. It could of course also be placed in smaller rooms. This need not be.
Design your kitchen practically according to your ideas
If you have a larger kitchen, then you should carefully consider the following: Where and how big should the kitchen island be so that it meets the requirements just listed? In addition, the connection to the other facilities must be good.
You can also use a practical kitchen island as a dining table
In a smaller kitchen, the questions that relate to the kitchen island should be phrased with “if” rather than “how”. It depends on whether the ambience would look better with a kitchen island; whether it makes the work more effective; whether we can use the kitchen island to integrate more functions into the room, etc..
Contrast between the white painted wood and the black granite worktop
After the decision
Once the final decision for integrating a kitchen island has been made, then we turn to the parameters of the expansion. Here comes another set of questions that need to be answered. They are the following:
- What is the kitchen island most used for??
- Which main and secondary functions should it fulfill??
- How much space can the kitchen island take up??
- How much and in what way should storage space be provided in the kitchen island?
In addition to style, all of these parameters should influence the final image of your kitchen island.
With plenty of storage space for books and decorative items
A dreamlike kitchen island made of solid wood
Centrally or easily accessible
By default, there is a kitchen island in the middle of the room. Behind this is the aim that this is equally accessible from all places. Other positions are also conceivable as soon as this condition is met.
A modern design with mirror surfaces as an accent
The plus points that a kitchen island brings with it
You should also definitely ask yourself what advantages the kitchen island brings to your room. This aspect partially overlaps with the previous ones on our checklist. However, this is important: by asking this question, you avoid the risk of forgetting something important.
Modern kitchen island with lighting
Below we have some examples for you, accompanied by some explanations:
- More work surface: You need a kitchen island with a seamless appearance and fewer built-in appliances. The storage room should be built in.
- More seating: Both the built-in devices and the storage space should be reduced to a minimum. You need to be able to sit still so that you have enough room for your knees.
- More storage space and built-in equipment: But maybe you need more space for the sink and the hotplates? Then these should take up most of the surface of the kitchen island. In this case, storage shelves can be placed wonderfully on the sides.
Equipped with LED lighting and extractor hood
As you can see, the kitchen island design checklist serves to ideally serve your individual household. Supplement them with your own questions and possible types of use.
The colored chairs provide a fresh accent in the gray and white kitchen
Classic kitchen furnishings
Typical summer cuisine
The black color is becoming very popular in kitchen design these days
Refined and very elegant
Chic cooking island in red with an integrated wine rack
Puristic elegance prevails in the kitchen
The cooking island often offers a comfortable place to sit
With cupboard for dishes
Island with a sink that takes up very little space
Island and dining table in one
Another very practical solution 2 in 1
Mobility is in demand: kitchen island on castors
Wooden island with lots of storage space
Spacious kitchen in white
Classic wooden island with sink
Rattan chairs complete the complete rustic look
Country style kitchen
Narrow, but rather long, high-gloss kitchen island